Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sit, stay. Good dog. (And a good book.)

To all my faithful readers that log in daily seeking the latest adventures of the Beau, I thank you. I have made life so eventful(or not so) and I haven't been posting anything. Not that there hasn't been anything to report. I just flaked off.

So I've been taking the boy walking down Waikiki lately. Maybe twice a week in the evening amongst the tourist and locals out for the night. We start by the screen for the "Sunset" movies and head out towards the center of Waikiki. Beau was very shy the first time, looking over his shoulder constantly. If someone approached from the back he would swing around in front of me and walk backwards so he could keep an eye on whoever was behind us. I would pull him around to my left side and discipline him that his behaviour was not appropriate. Now he tends to pull forward and walk too fast and I have to pull his lease back to keep him by my side. This isn't too bad and he is getting better every time we go out.

Last night was another leap in his training. I brought my camera to take pictures of him outside and had to buy batteries at the ABC store. I had him sitting just outside the store so he could see me. Fortunately the battery display and the cashier were close to the window and he was able to see me most of the time. He broke his stay once when some loud people walked past. He had just gotten up to stand and I walked out (almost carrying some batteries I hadn't paid for) to sit him again. This time I had him sit in a grassy planter area away from the main foot traffic. Through the window he looked a little concerned a couple of times but for the most part he seemed OK if he could see me. I paid for the batteries and went outside and he was noticeably relieved. Later as we were leaving to go home I repeated the scenario with another ABC and this time I was getting him some bottled(Yes bottled!) water. Again he was by the doorway only this time the water was further into the store and I was out of sight for several seconds. But when I came back he was sitting and not too stressed it seemed. When I was paying for the water the cashier smiled and said he was such a nice dog to just sit and wait. Yea, he is kinda is.

No comments: